So much to know, so little time. This section is intended to provide a very limited, straight-forward review of background information that is good to have as we try to understand the current political environment. Think of this a civics and current events refresher course.
Brief history, beginning in 2009, about how the Tea Party got started. This is a fascinating study in human nature and US politics.
- A Republican president, George W. Bush, presided over the huge Wall Street crash that became apparent in late 2008.
- Bush instituted legislation and a budget to deal with the crisis in late 2008.
- Obama became president in 2009 and successfully addressed the Wall Street crisis that led to the Great Recession.
- Some Republicans didn’t like the way Obama was dealing with things and started the hard right conservative, or Tea Party, movement.
- Obama’s leadership and policies led us out of the recession, restored the economy, put regulation in place to prevent if from happening again. He was successful, the country was successful and the economy was strong, based on jobs creation and a low unemployment rate, in December of 2016.
- The main focus of the Republican party for the last eight years has been to say “no” and resist the Obama administration.
- The Republicans, the Tea Party wing, and Trump claimed that the country is in a mess as of December 2016, won in 2016 and are now in the process of dismantling what the Obama administration accomplished.
- In general, they do not acknowledge any accomplishments, do not agree that promises to the American people were kept, do not give credit, and are intent on rolling back regulation, radically altering the direction of every Cabinet, eliminating or cutting deeply into many agencies, and building up the military.
- The pendulum always swings.